I’m sure we all know someone who is just a natural in front of a camera but if you’ve been getting a sinking feeling in your stomach every time you think about being in front of a photographer on your wedding day, know that you’re not alone.
Naturally, you want your wedding photos to look amazing and the more relaxed you are, the better your photos will turn out.
Here are a few tips that will have you breathing easy on the day of your wedding.
1. Always meet your photographer in person. Never pay a deposit for a photographer before you meet them in person. You may love a photographer’s style but if your personalities aren’t a good match, you’re not going to feel as comfortable as you want to on your wedding day.
2. Schedule an engagement shoot. The best way to get more comfortable in front of the camera is to schedule an engagement shoot with your wedding photographer. This way you will have a better idea of what to do and how your photographer works by the time your wedding day arrives.
3. Keep communicating. In the months leading up to your wedding, keep the lines of communication open with your photographer. If you think of a shot you really want or make a change to your timeline, be sure to let your photographer know so that you are both on the same page on your wedding day.
4. Have a glass of bubbly. If you’re feeling very nervous, have a glass of bubbly with your new husband or wife to start relaxing and celebrating. Plus, having a glass of champagne in hand makes for a beautiful photo.
5. Keep the focus on your partner. When you start taking photos, cut everything and everyone else out and just focus on them. Your husband or wife is the person you feel the most relaxed around, so focus on that if you’re feeling nervous.
6. Schedule enough time. Running out of time will make anyone anxious so schedule in enough time for your couple shots.
7. Hold something. If you hate not knowing what to do with your hands, keep your bouquet or a pretty prop close by so that you can incorporate it into your photos.
8. Get some practice in. In the months leading up to your wedding, get friends to take photos of you. By the time your wedding day comes around, you’ll feel like a natural.
If you are feeling nervous about your wedding photos, speak to your photographer so that they are aware of it. They’ll know exactly what to do.